Monday, April 13, 2009

Nabesna Road Traffic Alert - Caribou Refuse to Give Up Right-of-Way



We have enjoyed seeing caribou all winter but it is especially thrilling to see them crossing Nabesna Road on their way to calving grounds. Because of the deeper than usual snow they are making use of the road much the way that we do - they can make time. But the caribou don't like to get off the road and leap into the deeper snow berms that line the road. Now that the surface of the snow is getting crusty, they risk injury as well. So, Lee and I suggest that when you get behind a group of caribou who just don't want to let you by, slow down and enjoy the beautiful spring weather. I always remind myself that I could be stuck in Seattle traffic or LA!





Road Conditions:
Nabesna Road is in good condition. Most of the snow is gone from the road. There are some muddy areas. Be sure to carry a spare tire.
Boyden Creek (Mile 34.3) is building up ice and has water crossing the road. Low clearance vehicles should use caution. Breaking through ice can be hard on vehicles and get you stuck (voice of experience).



Insider Tips:
Just this winter I misread the ice at Trail Creek (Mile 29.0) and dropped through about six inches of snow into a deep hole. Even with four wheel drive I couldn't get out. In fact, I just managed to get more stuck. Thanks to our good neighbors at Sportsmen's Paradise Lodge who pulled my truck out, I was able to go on my way. Help can be a long way away on Nabesna Road and despite the caribou traffic, you are not likely to meet many, it any, vehicles. Your cell phone may work as far down the road as Long Lake (Mile 22.9) but don't count on it. No matter what time of year you visit, be prepared with extra food, water, appropriate outdoor gear, and some common sense.

Wildlife Sightings:
Caribou x25 - 30 (daily)
Golden Eagle (4/13/09)

No comments:

Post a Comment